Charles Village is an active and diverse community with a strong sense of self-identity. The neighborhood has an abundance of well-known cultural and educational resources, being the home to such institutions as the Johns Hopkins University and the Baltimore Museum of Art. The northern end of St. Paul Street, around the corner from Johns Hopkins University, has evolved into a student-orientated retail strip. On the National Register of Historic Places since 1983, Charles Village is a distinctive, well defined area in North Central Baltimore City taking up nearly forty-five city blocks. The historic designation provides homeowners with tax credit opportunities to restore their homes with historically appropriate materials. Charles Village is an overwhelmingly residential district and primarily made up of circa 1895-1915 rowhousing built along a strict grid pattern. There is a variety of housing featuring eclectic architectural elements such as pediments front porches, bowed fronts, projecting bays, dutch gables, pyramidal and conical roofs, small balconies, and stained glass windows and transoms. Most of the housing is set back from the street providing well landscaped front lawns that are compatible to the park like boulevards of North Charles Street. Charles Village has played an important role in the development of North Central Baltimore. It can be considered the northernmost extension of Baltimore's finest rowhouse neighborhoods which first developed at Mount Vernon Place and expanded northward along the Charles Street corridor. The architecture of Charles Village represents a cross section of late nineteenth to early twentieth century rowhouses, individual homes and apartments that provide the pivotal transition between the heavily urbanized neighborhoods to the south and the garden suburbs of Guilford, Homeland and Roland Park to the north. The Charles Village area is unique since it combines an urban grid street pattern and rowhouse character with suburban like landscaped front yards and park like boulevards; the result of early community planning efforts.
The development of this area is associated with important developer/builders/architects who shaped the growth of many neighborhoods and are responsible for the area's design excellence. The early residents of the neighborhood included many important Baltimore Civic and business leaders. The Wyman Park Dell, a 16-acre public park, is located on the eastern edge of Charles Village, south of two City landmarks, Johns Hopkins University and The Baltimore Museum of Art , and is one of the few parks in Baltimore fully conceived and designed by the Olmsted Brothersv (sons of the famous Frederick Olmsted who designed many of America's landmark parks including NYC's Central Park), the landscape architecture firm responsible for the City's first comprehensive park system plan in 1904.
The listing information featured on this site is courtesy of MRIS and is from various brokers who participate in IDX. The properties which appear for sale on this web site may subsequently have sold or may no longer be available. The information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate and should be confirmed.
Updated: 7th November, 2018 3:45 PM.